It’s been a while since I’ve baked, which is no wonder I’ve been feeling as though my creative spirits have experienced a dry spell. So, to get my creative juices flowing again, tonight I baked strawberry orange bread. I must say, it’s one citrus romance. I presume it would be scrumptious with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream. Miam!
Strawberry orange bread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- dash of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- zest and juice of 1 medium orange
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 cup strawberries, puréed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another small bowl, mix the diced strawberries with approx. 1/4 cup of the flour mixture. Purée the remaining strawberries.
- In a large bowl, cream the oil, sugar, and eggs. Add the orange zest and juice as well as the strawberry purée. Add a dash of vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Add in the flour mixture and use a spatula to mix just enough to incorporate everything. Don’t over mix. Fold in the strawberries.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from Laura Vitale: http://www.laurainthekitchen.com/recipes/strawberry-orange-muffins/